Sydney banker Fredrick Blencke granted bail after spending one month behind bars

Sydney banker Fredrick Blencke granted bail after spending one month behind bars

Nurses had to kick a high-flying investment banker out of a children’s hospital after he allegedly assaulted his wife, a court has heard.

A high-profile investment banker charged with multiple domestic violence offences has been granted bail to attend marriage breakdown counselling after spending more than a month behind bars.

Fredrick Blencke was refused bail in December after police charged him with allegedly assaulting his wife Annabelle Price at their home in Vaucluse in Sydney’s eastern suburbs.

Mr Blencke, who was worked for UBS, Goldman Sachs and Bell Potter, has entered no pleas in relation to the charge.

On Wednesday, Waverley Local Court heard the recent charge came in addition to another common assault DV charge police laid in August last year, which related to an alleged incident at Westmead children’s hospital.

Mr Blencke has pleaded not guilty to that charge and is fighting another separate set of charges related to a further incident in April during which he allegedly refused to leave Bondi’s famous Hotel Ravesis and assaulted police.

In court, defence barrister John Korn and solicitor Lauren MacDougall argued for Mr Blencke’s release on bail.

“The proposition is that he goes to Byron Bay for two reasons,” Mr Korn said.

“He has acceptable accommodation … he will be 750 kilometres and at least eight hours drive from Sydney.”

Freddie Blencke has agreed to relocate eight hours away from his estranged wife Annabelle Price.
Freddie Blencke has agreed to relocate eight hours away from his estranged wife.

Mr Korn said after Mr Blencke’s marital relationship collapsed, his client planned to obtain professional marriage breakdown counselling in Byron Bay.

“There are places available but they can’t give him a confirmed place until they can conduct an assessment,” Mr Korn said.

“Covid has made getting communications to people in custody … unbelievably difficult.

“Clearly his out of control behaviour is something that needs to be addressed.”

Police prosecutor Sergeant Maja Obireck told the court the alleged behaviour that landed Mr Blencke in court was of “grave concern”.

“A senior constable was kicked in the head, causing actual bodily harm injuries,” Sgt Obireck said.

“The accused is undeterred and acted brazenly.”

Sgt Obireck said the alleged assault at the hospital took place after Mr Blencke was asked to assist his wife.

“Several nurses intervened and told the accused he was to leave the premises,” she said.

Mr Blencke displayed a “high degree of aggression” during another alleged incident at his family’s Vaucluse home, Sgt Obireck said.

Magistrate Jacqueline Milledge said Mr Blencke’s decision to relocate away from his wife to the village of Federal near Byron Bay meant he could be granted bail.

“This isn’t to solve the marriage breakdown, this is to ensure proper behaviour,” she said.

“We’re not working as a conduit to try and mend their broken relationship.

“He’s out of control.”

As part of strict bail conditions imposed, Mr Blencke is banned from entering licensed premises and must report to Byron Bay police three times a week.

“He is not to drink alcohol or take drugs unless those drugs are prescribed by a doctor,” Magistrate Milledge said.

Mr Blencke’s case returns to court on March 2.

After the court hearing, Ms MacDougall released a statement saying her client was relieved to be released.

“The justice system is under enormous pressure at the moment and if Mr Blencke was not released today he might have been in prison waiting for a hearing date to be allocated next year,” she said.

“We deliberately chose Byron Bay as a place for him to live to satisfy the court that any risk he would harm the complainant could be ameliorated.

“Bail isn’t a mechanism to punish accused persons and the application was deliberately framed to address the court’s concerns.”

A hearing into the alleged assault at Westmead children’s hospital is scheduled for March 28, while a separate hearing into the alleged police assault is due to take place that same day.